I really wanted a new dress for Christmas. Not a fancy one, but one that would be comfy and could be dressed up or down. I saw a few sweater dresses and a cream lace dress on pinterest. Both ideas were keepers. So I combined them into the sweater dress on the right. The dress fits nicely and the off set square design, along with the vertical lines in the sweater knits draw the eye down the body. I know it looks a bit "hippy" on the dress form. Thankfully my shape is a bit softer than hers. ;)
I'll be wearing my dress with brown tights and boots. I made a pearl, bead, and lace bracelet to go with it. (another pinterest inspiration that I'll show another day)
Sweaters: I bought 3 and used only two.
1. Prepare your bodice piece. I made my bodice empire length, by laying my Fun and Easy Knit Top pattern onto the sweater and cutting the sweater at the empire length line.
2. Cut the remaining sweaters into squares. My squares were about 7" x 9". Two sweaters made enough squares for the bottom part of my dress. I wear about a size 10 and didn't want it tight fitting.
4. Sew squares together to make one long strip (top to bottom on the dress) Repeat as needed.
6. Open bodice side about 3" so that you can attach the front and back "skirt" panels.
9. If you have a raw cut hemline, zigzag over the hemline. Be careful to not stretch the hemline as you sew or it will be wavy.